Remember that the mass media (especially the social media) brings you the bad news of the world; the tragedies, scare-stories, uninformed opinions, unwarranted claims and many times just plain lies.
The world is beautiful but it looks like hell via the headlines.
Be accurate and honest with your efforts at anything you try to accomplish. Report, measure and monitor without a fail. It is all up to you eventually.
Practice relentless solution seeking. Do not stay lamenting problems. When encountering a problem, give it maximum 60 seconds of going “what the fuck again??” and then be off to finding the next step needed for improvement.
Practice the equanimity game all day long.
“When force of circumstance upsets your equanimity, lose no time recovering your self-control, and do not remain out of tune longer than you can help. Habitual recurrence to the harmony will increase your mastery of it.”
Note: it says “when”, not “if”!
Find ways to curb distraction, and be creative at that.
- Make yourself unavailable for blocks of time to allow for concentrated deep work.
- When appropriate, communicate; be brief and say only the useful part and what needs to be said. Try to help as many as possible.
- If something is yours to handle, move it from the communication to the list of tasks and allocate time for it.
- Email/chat is not your task list.
- Be accountable to yourself and others for what you have gotten done.
- Keep a good quality in mind but do not try to make perfect. Attempt to make perfect means not getting anything done.
- Resist the urge to check messages all the time.
- Keep today’s main goals in mind and work for them with intention.
- When distracted anyway, minimize it’s effect by getting back to the job at hand as soon as possible.
When going to bed in the evening, do not unnecessarily disturb the peace by ruminating past things of worrying the future. Do not not daydream at bedtime. Just go through the events of the day briefly and evaluate your own contribution to things. No self-blame, just the objective evaluation of the good, bad and the shit left unattended. Name yourself the key things (1 to 3) you want to get done tomorrow.
Then off to sleep.